Gerald-Esquire, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years of experience

My girlfriend is having to go to court, father wanting to

Customer Question

My girlfriend is having to go to court, for the father wanting to have the last name of the child they had together changed to his last name. They were never married and she was not married for any part of the pregnancy. She does not want the name to change and has already added him to the birth certificate like he asked for. So does that mean the name will be changed or is there a chance that it can stay the same as the mothers surname.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Gerald-Esquire replied 3 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

North Carolina has adopted a law that provides for the Legitimization of children born out of wedlock. This law places responsibilities on the father of the child but also allows for the father's surname to become placed on the birth certificate and listed as the child's last name. See:

Accordingly, under this law it is very possible that the court will order the name change.

I hope the information I provide is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow up questions, feel free to ask. Please note that I am generally unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but it helps me greatly. Thank you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you and only ask the same from you.

Good luck.

Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Kind regards,