Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.

My son has been married years fixing to get a divorce my

Customer Question

My son has been married for 4 years fixing to get a divorce my question is during their marriage he got student loans for college will she have to help pay back loans.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ely replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. Please tell me what state this is in?

This is not an answer, but an information request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.

Expert:  Samuel II replied 3 months ago.

This is Samuel. Please tell me what state the divorce is in.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Expert:  Ely replied 3 months ago.

Thank you. See HERE. Student loans that are taken out during marriage typically are assigned to the party that took them out. However, if the OTHER party can prove that they received a benefit from the student loans (i.e. if left over money aside from tuition was used for them, for example), then the student loans CAN be split. Texas has a case by case approach on this topic in divorces.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.