Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

I have been a stay at home mom 1/2 yrs. I just discovered my

Customer Question

I have been a stay at home mom for 1 1/2 yrs. I just discovered my boyfriend is cheating. We have been together 16 years and have 3 kids. He doesn't know I know. I have been told to get a job first....would it be better for me custody wise to get a part time or full time job? My youngest has only ever been with me.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ely replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. It would be smart to get employment prior to filing for custody. The Court decides on custody based on the rule of thumb of "best interest of the child." This includes, but is not limited to, general stability of the parent, financial stability, indoctrination of the child in the current school and environment, household condition and living condition of the child, other persons living in the house, etc.

If you wish to become the managing custodian, the Court is going to want to see that you can take care of the children financially aside from any child support you may receive. So having employment lined up would really help this.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.