FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  9 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases

My wife and I are still living together with our 2 children

Customer Question

My wife and I are still living together with our 2 children but are soon going to get a divorce. I want to take my daughter with me upstate to visit her grandfather and she won't let me. Do I have any rights allowing me to take her with me?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 2 months ago.

Good morning. I am sorry to hear about what you are going through. How long will you be gone for?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
5 days

Thank you. Yes, as the father you have a right to take your daughter. This is not a situation where you are divorced, separated or there is anything pending with the court and/or court order, that would restrict you from traveling with the child. Moreover, you are planning to return and only going away for 5 days. While she objects to you going, there is nothing wrong or illegal with you taking her, if you wanted to, at this time. The fact that the relationship is leading to divorce, yet nothing has been done, does not allow her to restrict your ability to go.

I just wanted to follow up and see if there is anything else I can answer or clarify. I am here to help so please just let me know

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.