mmdesq
mmdesq, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  Attorney with 13 years experience.
30969554

My girlfriend was once married in the island of Independent

Customer Question

My girlfriend was once married in the island of Independent Samoa to a samoan citizen, she has had many issues with getting her x to sign the paper.
What we are trying to figure out is if her Samoan marriage would be recognized and recorded in the USA?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  mmdesq replied 4 months ago.
Good Morning,I will try to best answer your question.Yes a legal marriage in Samoa will be recognized in the United States. A marriage performed under the laws of any country or any state is recognized in the United States. The record of the marriage however would be located in the particular state or country where the marriage ceremony took place.
When you say having difficulty getting her ex to sign the paper, I'm assuming you are referring to the overall agreement resolvibg the divorce not just service of the divorce complaint. If the issue is just service of the divorce complaint you can hire a process server in Samoa to serve her ex-husband. If the issue is getting him to sign an agreement to resolve the divorce proceedings that is more difficult. If no agreement can be reached then a hearing has to be scheduled before the judge to adjudicate the divorce and enter an order. In all likelihood she would need to travel to Samoa for such a hearing.I hope that this information is helpful and I wish you the best of luck reaching resolution.