originallawyer
originallawyer, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  7+ years of experience in divorce, custody battles and mediation.
74576488

I married a man in 2003 reno nevada and found out he was

Customer Question

I married a man in 2003 reno nevada and found out he was married in the state of Florida. The man told me to never contact him again and an attorney told me the marriage was not legal. I never thought about it again until this week when someone mentiioned the marriage to me. I never told anyone. I went online and the marriage is filed in the state of Nevada. I cannot find any type of anulment. I have since married in 2013. Im not sure what I should do? Am I still married to him and is my current marriage a marriage. ?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  originallawyer replied 5 months ago.

Hello:

According to Nevada State law your 2003 marriage is void.

NRS 125.290  Void marriages.  All marriages which are prohibited by law because of:

1.  Consanguinity between the parties; or

2.  Either of the parties having a former husband or wife then living, if solemnized within this State,

are void without any decree of divorce or annulment or other legal proceedings. A marriage void under this section shall not bar prosecution for the crime of bigamy pursuant to NRS 201.160.

[18:33:1861; B § 211; BH § 487; C § 498; RL § 2354; NCL § 4066]—(NRS A 1959, 195; 1967, 531; 1973, 201)

This means that you didn't need to have any legal proceeding to annul your marriage. Your 2013 marriage is safe.