JD 1992
JD 1992, Lawyer
Experience:  Began practicing Family Law in 1992

Was wondering to have father that is willing to sign rights

Customer Question

Was wondering to have father that is willing to sign rights away do u have to go threw a lawyer or is there forms u can fill out from the court house
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in?
Customer: Iowa
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: He is behind in child support so he wants to get rid of child support to if signs rights away
Category: Family Law
Expert:  JD 1992 replied 3 months ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

You don't have to use a lawyer but the courthouse usually doesn't have forms and no one at the courthouse is allowed to walk you through how to do this.

The bad part is terminating parental rights is hard and most judges won't do it unless there is someone else waiting in the wings to adopt. In addition, many judges won't sign off on an order to terminate rights if they suspect it is being done to get rid of a child support obligation.