Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.

I married in Vancouver on March 27th 2015. My spouse left

Customer Question

i married in Vancouver Washington on March 27th 2015. My spouse left the county with no explanation, and I've spent the last 14 months looking. Do i qualify under the "fraud" category to file an annulment?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 2 months ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

To prove fraud, you need to be able to establish that your spouse tricked you into agreeing to the marriage by lying about something important. In your case, that means showing that your spouse always intended to disappear after marrying you - and that's not easy to show. Just the fact of leaving after the marriage doesn't mean your spouse always intended to leave. There would have to be something more. You could, however, file for divorce on the grounds of an irretrievable breakdown of the marriage.

If the reason you're looking into annulment is religious, talk to your local religious leader. Different religions will have different requirements, and many people who do not qualify for a legal annulment are still able to get a religious one.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
well a friend overheard him saying in spanish he was there just for a green card, and the marriage was never consummated
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
this was overheard BEOFRE he disappeared. Yes it's hear say, however evidence and a person willing to testify

In that case, yes, you should be able to prove fraud. It's actually not considered hearsay, because it's a statement made by the other party (even though that party won't be present).

Did you have any other questions about this?