ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Texas General Practice Attorney
19487448

I will be marrying in a few weeks a Chinese National woman

Customer Question

I will be marrying in a few weeks a Chinese National woman who is here on a tourist visa. What paper work does she need? Thank you in advance Alain-Patrick Rigaud.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  ScottyMacEsq replied 8 months ago.

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

Marriage laws are state law, and immigration is Federal. The state doesn't care about the immigration status of the individual coming to get married. A citizen, permanent resident, visitor, or even an illegal / undocumented immigrant may get married. The state doesn't discriminate based upon immigration status.

Application Process

• Colorado marriage license fee is $30.

• A Marriage License may be issued in any Colorado County Clerk’s office and used in any county in the State of Colorado.

• The legal age without parental consent is 18 years of age.

• Both applicants must appear in person to apply and sign the marriage application.

• Both applicants must show identification for Proof of Age.

• If one party cannot appear due to illness, is out of the state of Colorado, or incarcerated, then he or she can obtain an absentee application.

• There is no waiting period for getting married in Colorado and there are no required tests.

• Colorado marriage license is valid for 35 days.

For the Application:

• If one party cannot appear due to illness, because he/she is out-of-state state, or incarcerated, the party applying must bring the absentee application along with identification for the absent party. The absentee application form must be notarized in advance.

• $30 Cash for Marriage License Fee.

• Identification for Proof of Age: Such as a Driver’s License issued in the United States, Passport, Military ID, or State-issued ID Card.

• Social Security Number: If either party does not have a social security number, they must sign an affidavit provided by the County Clerk’s office when applying for the license.

• Place of Birth (City and State / City and Country) must be listed on the application form.

• Parents’ Names and Current Addresses must be listed on the application form.

So in short she needs to have her passport (and another ID if possible) that shows her birthdate. So long as she appears and signs the application, that would suffice to get married. Note that getting married does nothing to affect her visitor / immgration status. She doesn't automatically become a resident or a citizen. That's going to have to be something that you apply for with the US Citizenship and Immigration Services, and you should really look into getting an immigration lawyer to assist with that, as it could be much quicker than trying to do it yourself.

Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Look for the stars on your screen (★★★★★). Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

Did you have any other questions before you rate this answer?

Are you there? Please note that I am still here, awaiting your response or rating... (please note that rating closes this question out, so if there's nothing else, please rate it so that I can assist other customers that are waiting for answers to their questions)

Should I continue to await your response, or may I assist the other customers that are waiting?

I see that you have not responded in some time. Please note that this question is still open until you rate it. I believe that I have answered your question, but if you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Look for the stars on your screen (★★★★★). Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!