Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing Attorney with 10 years experience

I am a former chinese citizen who has become an american

Customer Question

I am a former chinese citizen who has become an american citizen. I have a child from a first marriage - the childs birth father is chinese and lives in China. I am remarried to an american citizen.
I would like to change my child's name. He is a 13 year old boy. We are residents of California. California requires the child's other parent to be served.
I do know where the birth father lives, or could likely track him down if he has moved.
I suspect he will not approve of the name change.
What are my options?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 3 months ago.

In order to get around the requirement to serve the other parent you may want to try and file for abandonment so that the court can terminate the fathers rights to the child if he has not made any efforts to contact the child over the last few years. Here is a good resource.

Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 2 months ago.

If you have any additional questions just let me know otherwise a positive rating would be greatly appreciated.