originallawyer, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  7+ years of experience in divorce, custody battles and mediation.

My ex and I have joint custody of our son with her being the

Customer Question

my ex and I have joint custody of our son with her being the custodial parent. She has informed me that she can't handle my son. And wants me to get him. Which I will do. I want to change it to where I'm the custodial parent.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  originallawyer replied 3 months ago.

In order for this change to be legally binding, you and your ex will need to file a Motion to Modify your current custody agreement. Then, once that is filed, you'll need to have the Judge sign the new agreed Final Order. This is the only way to legally formalize the new arrangement and end any child support obligation you may have. You can find the forms to do so at

Note that a letter from her stating that you have custody is not enough. You must go through the courts.