KimberlyLaw
KimberlyLaw, Lawyer and Real Estate Broker
Experience:  13 years of experience practicing law.
8989662

I have lived with my boyfriend continuously years, but we

Customer Question

I have lived with my boyfriend continuously for 19 years, but we have never married or formally registered as domestic partners. During that time we have acquired several properties and he has started a successful business. I have contributed significant work to all properties, but he has provided the financing, and thus everything is in his name (he makes 10x as much as I do). He recently left me for another women, and moved out of our home. Do I have any rights to the property or other assets that are in his name?
JA: Because laws vary from state to state, could you tell me what state is this in?
Customer: We lived for the first 2 yrs in Texas and the last 17 years in Minnesota
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: What would be relevant
Category: Family Law
Expert:  KimberlyLaw replied 10 months ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am an attorney.

Sorry to hear about your situation. I am also sorry to say that unfortunately, you don't have a legal claim to any value in the properties that you worked on if they are not in your name. The same thing goes for any other assets. You do, however, have a right as a tenant, so he can't just kick you out. If you contribute in any way to the utilities, or other bills for the home you live in, then you can argue that you are a tenant. You didn't indicate whether he wants you to move out or not, but that does give you at least some protection.

Please let me know if you have any questions about this.

Thank you

Kim

Hello, this is Kim, the attorney who assisted you yesterday.

I didn't see any follow up questions for you and this question is still open.

I am online today if you have any questions about the above. If not, please do rank my answer with positive feedback, so that I get credit for my work with you.

Thanks so much and take care,

Kim

Hello, This is Kim, the attorney who assisted you last week.

I see that this question is still open. Please go ahead and rate my answer with positive feedback. The top three ratings will make sure that I get credit for my work with you.

Thanks so much and take care,

Kim