JD 1992
JD 1992, Lawyer
Experience:  Began practicing Family Law in 1992
11068102

I would like to know if my friend has a chance to reverse a

Customer Question

I would like to know if my friend has a chance to reverse a child support order in Michigan. He has asked me to research this for him. In 1990 after a bad divorce he had a one night stand, a few months later the woman told him she was pregnant. He told her he would marry her and support the baby. She told him not to worry it wasn't his. His ex had left him for his best friends wife. She would not let him see the kids and it hurt to keep seeing her and missing the kids. Being young and hurt not knowing he could fight took his exes word she could do what she wanted . So he left for California. He spent the next 4 years or so all over the USA from state to state. He has never seen the boy and only knows what is on support papers. He has run into her several times over the years and numerous times asked her to go for a paternity test. She agreed but never showed up or got hold of him to make convi Nugent arrangements. He is severely in arrears due to an accident about ten years ago. Is there a way he can now have a paternity test and have this either confirmed so he can try to have a relationship with his son or at least meet him, or stop his support even if he don't get what he has already paid? And if not is there any legal action he can take to get it resolved. Oh and he said it may be his because they did have sex but he was so drunk he never ejaculated. Thank you for your time I look forward to hearing from you.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  JD 1992 replied 4 months ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Your facts are a little unclear, was there a court order with a specific finding of paternity?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
there was no court order I know of. My understanding was when he came back he was arrested for non payment and that's when he found out.
Expert:  JD 1992 replied 4 months ago.

If he was never served with papers telling him that they were seeking a finding of paternity or that they were seeking child support then he can ask for a paternity test and ask that the child support amount be vacated since he didn't have due process.

He needs to get a lawyer to help him with this though. Since he was never served with any paperwork then they likely can't hold him responsible for anything yet.

He can find a lawyer to assist himyou by going to www.lawyers.com and in the section for Area of Practice enter Family Law.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work.

Of course, please feel free to ask any follow up questions in this thread. I want to be sure that all of your questions are answered. In addition, once you issue your Positive Rating the question will lock open and no longer time out so you can come back to it anytime in the future if you think of any follow ups.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you for your time and trouble. The information was helpful. I will no longer need this site as I have a local lawyer to assist me in all areas. But that being said I will recommend this site to every one I know needs help. Have a great day and thank you again
Expert:  JD 1992 replied 4 months ago.