N Cal Attorney
N Cal Attorney, Attorney
Experience:  since 1983

I am asking about a certificate of legal capacity to adopt

Customer Question

I am asking about a certificate of legal capacity to adopt - my wife is a Philippine citizen (residing and caring for our "daughter" and we are trying to adopt her who is a 5th degree family member (3 year old girl) with goals to bring the child to the USA - I am living / working in the USA - what do I need to do for this certificate
Additional Information: My wife has spoken to a lawyer there. I have spoken to a couple who tell me to go through an agency - they cost $25,000 to process - and never gave me an answer as to what I need to do except using an agency.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  N Cal Attorney replied 3 months ago.

Thank you for your question.

You do need to use an agency. the process is described at

which states: " Adoption cases must be handled by federally accredited adoption service providers (ASP). For a list of accredited service providers, click here."

I hope this information is helpful.