Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.

I need to file custody and I need to know how to go about

Customer Question

I need to file for emergency custody and I need to know how to go about that
JA: Because laws vary from state to state, could you tell me what state is this in?
Customer: iowa
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No I have not.
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: I took my daughter to the doctor yesterday. The doctor was asking her some questions and my daughter said that her mother has been leaving her at home alone while she goes to work. The mother barely feeds my daughter. Her siblings who live with their dad have said that she is very neglectful, that she allows my daughter who is 7 to go out and play in her pool unsupervised. She lets her run around the trailer court in which they live in unsupervised and there is a big pond in this trailer court where clearly there are signs posted that say children under the age of 13 must have adult supervision.
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in?
Customer: Iowa
Category: Family Law
Expert: replied 3 months ago.

I'm soctt -- licensed only in Calif.

Processes & law differ state to state.

But if you feel your child is in danger and need to petition at once -- I urge you to call a local family law lawyer ASAP to help.

Alternatively, contact the family court in your jurisdiction to ask how to do it yourslef!

dont wait!

and don worry about rating me... just get a local lawyer or call the court clerk and ask how to file -- they can help!

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you! I will be calling the Clerk of Court and getting this underway first thing in the morning. Yes, I feel and so does the doctor that Brianna is indeed in danger there.I appreciate your response. Thank you!
Expert: replied 3 months ago.

I hope the local court can walk you through their process.

But you'll need to stay on time.

I know legal costs, on top of things like court filing fees, can be daunting.

So don't feel relucting to act the clerk they know of organization offering free or low-cost family legal aid for something like this. The should some organization and law firms available.

This resource may also help

Good luck --

I know this is stressful, but when you have a minute, I would appreciate a postiverating.