JD 1992
JD 1992, Lawyer
Experience:  Began practicing Family Law in 1992

My uncle and wife wish to adopt my son. The hospital said we

Customer Question

My uncle and wife wish to adopt my son. The hospital said we can file a third party release but some kind of temporary custody order must be filed with the court in texas in order to allow my uncle to take him to doctors appointments while they are working out the adoption details. I'm not sure who the father is
Category: Family Law
Expert:  JD 1992 replied 3 months ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

There is nothing in the law in Texas which requires a court order to allow your uncle to take your son to the doctor's appointments. You would likely need to sign a HIPAA release form to allow the doctor to discuss your son's issues with the uncle and you could give your uncle a limited Power of Attorney to allow him to make medical decisions for you son, to sign papers, etc. but that can be drafted by any attorney and doesn't require a judge's signature and it is not a court order, temporary or otherwise.

I'm not sure what other questions you have but you can ask them in this thread.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work.

Of course, please feel free to ask any follow up questions in this thread. I want to be sure that all of your questions are answered. In addition, once you issue your Positive Rating the question will lock open and no longer time out so you can come back to it anytime in the future if you think of any follow ups.