Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

Potential divorce, Georgia, No, My wife wants it but I'm not

Customer Question

Potential divorce
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Georgia
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: My wife wants it but I'm not a willing participant. We have a house both names on the deed and a 14 year old son. I haven't done anything, adultery, physical or mental abuse, drink, drugs or anything of the sort. She just says she wants her freedom.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Roger replied 8 months ago.

Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.

Georgia law allows for no-fault divorces, which means that either spouse can file for divorce without having to show that the other did something wrong. Thus, it is likely that your wife can seek a divorce even if you aren't in agreement.

Expert:  Roger replied 8 months ago.

If she was to go through with the divorce, you'll have to deal with property division and child custody/visitation issues.