Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  30 plus years of experience.

A friend of mine recently got divorced and was awarded the

Customer Question

A friend of mine recently got divorced and was awarded the house, which is fully paid for. Her husband refuses to sign the deed and she needs to sell the house. How can she change the deed to reflect her name only? In the divorce papers it shows the judge awarded her the house.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Loren replied 3 months ago.

Good evening. I am Loren,a licensed attorney, and I look forward to assisting you.

Your friend should file a motion in the court that issued the decree to hold the ex in contempt of court for refusing to comply with the decree, which has the impact of a court order.

If he refuses to comply and is found in contempt the court will order the title changed to her name and can also award attorney fees and other sanctions for his actions.

Expert:  Loren replied 3 months ago.

If you have no further questions, and have not yet done so, please remember to leave a favorable rating (5 stars) so that I am credited by JustAnswer for assisting you. A bonus is not required, but is always appreciated.