Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.

I am needing a lawyer to assist with my divorce. I have 4

Customer Question

I am needing a lawyer to assist with my divorce. I have 4 children and only work part time and am trying to find a lawyer that will do it pro bono or will make it to where my ex pays the fee's. He has only given me $190 in the 12 1/2 weeks so my funds are very limited.
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Texas
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: I filed September 30, 2015 and the county that I live in paced a "rule" in November that all uncontested divorces require representation from a lawyer. So they have assigned me one but I have not spoken with them because it will cost $750.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ely replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. JustAnswer experts cannot take customers as clients, nor can we refer to specific attorneys. What I can do however, is to provide a list of pro bono/low cost counsel programs in Texas. Perhaps one of them may help. Would this be acceptable?

This is not an answer, but an information request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
that would be great. Thank you!
Expert:  Ely replied 3 months ago.

No problem! I can recommend three resources. First, here is a list of all pro bono work in the state...

…and another list:

Finally, you may call your local law school and see if they have a legal clinic place available. The legal clinic is a free service the school(s) provide to the community. While they are often overbooked, they have openings sometimes. Here is the list law schools in your state:

Good luck.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.