Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Licensed experienced Attorney
26296561

I am considering filing a restraining order against my

Customer Question

I am considering filing a restraining order against my ex-fiancée. His permanent residence is in El Paso and mine is in Rio Rancho, NM. The relationship has been ongoing for 2 + years.
The last time we separated, he stole my engagement ring from my home without telling me the relationship was over or asking for the ring back; I filed a report with the police that he stole the ring from my home while is was not home.
He and I since got back together and he left back to his home in El Paso, now 2 weeks later sends me a text that it is over and he is now threatening me [again] to make trouble for me at work if I do not give him the ring back; he has made this threat before as well.
I am considering filing a restraining order against him due to the harassment and threats. If I file a restraining order will that keep him from any content with me as well as my employer?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 4 months ago.

Hello. My name is Alex.
Thank you for your question.
I will be happy to provide you with information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Generally, YES.

If the restraining order is issued, such order would generally state that the person subject to the restraining order cannot contact the person protected by the restraining order, directly and/or indirectly, so if the person who is subject to the restraining order violates the order, then such person could be subject to the contempt of court and also could be criminally charged under the state or federal law.

I wish you the best of luck!

Please let me know if you have any related follow up questions?
If not, please positively rate and accept my answer, so I can be compensated for my work.
Thank you.