Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
6704987

My husband and I both received an order of protection from

Customer Question

My husband and I both received an order of protection from our 17 year old daughter. We chose not to fight the allegations in the OP and it defaulted to a 1 year plenary order. However, the psychopathic judge ordered us to counseling even when we were never arrested or convicted to anything. We have since moved from IL to TX do we need to worry about taking the counseling?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Roger replied 8 months ago.
Hi - my name is ***** ***** I'll be glad to assist.
Expert:  Roger replied 8 months ago.
If you don't follow the directives if the court order, you could be charged and held in contempt of court.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Did you read my question?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
We moved from Illinois to Texas
Expert:  Roger replied 8 months ago.
it is possible that you could close some issues IF your daughter were to raise the issue.
Expert:  Roger replied 8 months ago.
It doesn't matter that you moved as the court would still have jurisdiction over the issue and could reach across state lines to hold you accountable.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
it is possible that you could "close some issues" IF your daughter was to raise the issue. THIS ANSWER DOES NOT MAKE SENSE.
Expert:  Roger replied 8 months ago.
Sorry - have not close (auto-correct).
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
How is that possible that we could be held accountable when we were never arrested, never convicted. How can this follow us to Texas when it's an order based on an Order of Protection that just wasn't fought.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Still your explanation of the auto correct doesn't make your explanation anymore understandable.
Expert:  Roger replied 8 months ago.
Thus, whether anything comes if you failing to follow the terms of the order depends on whether your daughter presses the issue.
Expert:  Roger replied 8 months ago.
If she files to hold you in contempt, the issue of failing to complete counseling will be brought to the court.
Expert:  Roger replied 8 months ago.
But, if she doesn't, it's likely that the court would never address the issue.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
as long as my daughter does not insist that we get counseling we will more then likely not have to worry about this causing us issues in Texas?
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Does the Judge have the power to hold us in contempt of court for not following through with counseling?
Expert:  Roger replied 8 months ago.
That's right.
She's the alleged victim....so, if she doesn't raise the issue and report to the judge that you haven't done this, the judge likely will never know.
Expert:  Roger replied 8 months ago.
the judge can hold you in contempt for failing to perform a task the court ordered.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
He judge ordered it and her attorney has set this for status on Sept. 1. If we don't comply the judge will know because my daughter used Prairie State Legal Services to file her Order
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I understand that the judge can hold us in contempt of court but Illinois has NO jurisdiction over Texas so how is that possible now that we live in Texas? I'm still asking the same question, it seems.
Expert:  Roger replied 8 months ago.
The judge can issue warrants for you....but the judge can't come across state lines to arrest you. But, if the judge issued a fine or money judgment against you, that can be collected across state lines.
Expert:  Roger replied 8 months ago.

In other words, you can't leave the state and neutralize the court's jurisdiction completely.

Expert:  Roger replied 8 months ago.

Hi - just checking in to see if you need anything further. Thanks!