Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.

I live in NY and am a non custodial parent of 3 that live in

Customer Question

I live in NY and am a non custodial parent of 3 that live in CT. My oldest is 20 and a senior at the univ of California, my middle dependent lives at home in CT and attends Univ of CT, my youngest is 16 and goes to high school. Are my obligations to pay for the college education of my children enforceable by CT law even though I live in NY ? If so, what are the basics of my responsibilities ? Thank you
Category: Family Law
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Our divorce agreement expired when my oldest turned 18 in October 2013
Expert:  Maverick replied 3 months ago.

1. Was there ever a court order requiring you to pay for all three of their college educations?

2. Does the divorce agreement expire only with respect to paying for the oldest's education or also with respect to the other two?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
1 no. 2 I just wrote a lengthy answer but got timed out somehow. Basically I found its all covered in my divorce agreement from 2005. Didn't realize that. How about the question of me sending money direct to my son in CA verse my spouse
Expert:  Maverick replied 3 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer (“JA”)! My name is Maverick.

Note: (1) If you want legal advice, consult with a local attorney before acting or deciding not to act; information given here is for educational purposes only; (2) Most questions are answered within the hour; however, if I am not signed on, please allow up to 24 hours; and (3) Please assign a feedback rating so JA will compensate me. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms and to JA’s other site disclaimers.

As to your question about sending money directly to your son check to see if that is also covered in the agreement. If you want to upload the agreement I would be happy to look at it.