Hammer O'Justice
Hammer O'Justice, Attorney
Experience:  Almost 12 years of legal experience

My father is in the hospital after being shot multiple times

Customer Question

My father is in the hospital after being shot multiple times by police. They say he is not able to be seen or any one other then the police talk to him. Is this true?
Category: Family Law
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
We flew all the way from Colorado to Arizona where he is in the hospital with gunshot wounds. Won't let us see him or even speak with him? Doesn't he have rights?
Expert:  Hammer O'Justice replied 3 months ago.

I'm sorry to hear about your family's situation. Unfortunately, many police departments and also hospitals have procedures in place that a person who is in police custody at the hospital is not allowed visitors. It is pretty standard. He does have the same constitutional rights that any other person in custody would have, but visitors (whether in the jail or at a hospital) are not a right, they are a privilege. So there is no right to visitors and a policy that prohibits visitors does not violate his rights. He does, however, have the right to an attorney. So if you are able to arrange for him to have a lawyer, the lawyer would be able to visit him and perhaps could work out some sort of agreement with the police to have you see him if they can work out a way so there is not a security risk (when police do agree, people who want to visit will have to be thoroughly searched, because hospitals do not have security checkpoints like a jail and the police will be concerned about weapons or anything that may allow him to escape custody). I'm sorry I can't give you better news, but unfortunately there just isn't a right to visitation at this point. I hope your father recovers from his injuries.