Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with 15 years experience

I thought I was divorced 22 years ago. I signed a paper

Customer Question

I thought I was divorced 22 years ago. I signed a paper station get it didn't need to court coz no property, or children were married again, and found out she didn't show up for court. I got a divorce as soon as I found out. Am I legally married to my wife now. Or do we need to get another license?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 3 months ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply,but rest assured, I am working on your question.

If you got married the second time before you actually finalized the divorce, then the second marriage is "void ab initio", meaning void from the beginning. So legally you aren't married to your second wife if you haven't gotten a new marriage certificate issued and had an officiant formally marry you again after your divorce was finalized.

But you should be able to quickly and quietly just get a new marriage license issued and just call it a "re commitment ceremony" if anyone asks and that you are just renewing your vows...