Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Licensed experienced Attorney
26296561

My daughter/step daughter who is twelve has supported and

Customer Question

My daughter/step daughter who is twelve has supported and been here for her for 10 years. The biological father has paid child support a total of 8 times in 12 years. Due to him resigning from 8 jobs in 10 years due to garnishment . To avoid any more garnishments he wants to turn over all parental rights which allows me to adopt my daughter. Where can I go to get all paper work needed and would he still have to pay back alimony?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 7 months ago.

Hello. My name is Alex.
Thank you for your question.
I will be happy to provide you with information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Generally, a Petition for Voluntary Termination of Parental rights can be filed by the biological / legal father in a family court which is local to where the minor child is currently residing, however, there is generally no pre-printed forms that can be used for such petition and the biological / legal father would have to hire a local child custody law attorney or contact legal aid for free legal help to help him prepare and pursue such petition.

Generally, once the parental rights are terminated by the court and the child is adopted by another adult, all current and future child support would be terminated in regards ***** ***** biological father, however, the biological father will still be liable for any delinquent child support or alimony.

I wish you the best of luck!

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
there is nothing I can do to start the process?

Thank you for your follow up.

I cannot comment on your specific case, but generally, it is the biological father that has to file the petition to voluntarily terminate parental rights, as a stepfather would not have any legal standing to file such petition.

I wish you the best of luck!

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
What about the mother starting the process...is that possible.....last question

Thank you for your follow up.

Generally YES.

If the father voluntarily did not have contact with the minor child for at least 12 months, then the mother can in fact file Petition to Terminate Parental Rights due to Abandonment.

I wish you the best of luck!

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
He is living in another state... does that make a difference?

Thank you for your follow up.

The petition generally has to be filed where the minor child is residing and a copy of the petition would be required to be served on biological / legal parent at his place of residence or work in another state.

I wish you the best of luck!