RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years as a family law lawyer .
8534270

I need to file a motion by Friday testimony. Can I file a

Customer Question

I need to file a motion by Friday for child testimony. Can I file a motion requesting child testimony or appointment of a GAL to speak on the minor child’s behalf or would I need to file two separate motions? The General Magistrate judge is aware of and awaiting the motion for child testimony by the end of the week. Please help. 
Category: Family Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 4 months ago.

Motion and self help you need to file here for the child to testify..

http://www.flcourts.org/core/fileparse.php/293/urlt/944a.pdf

I appreciate the chance to help you today, good luck here in court..

Florida’s Family Law Rules were amended to provide that a child is not to testify unless the court first determines that a child’s testimony is necessary and relevant to the issues, Florida Family Law Rule 12.407,so be prepared here to show necessity and relevancy.

Some judges out make this real hard, here is an article that talks about this issue here.Be prepared to vigorously argue the motion.

https://www.floridabar.org/divcom/jn/jnjournal01.nsf/Author/6658DC392C0C529185256ADB005D6214

Under Florida family law, minor children may not be a witness or attend a child custody hearing without prior court approval. See Florida Family Law Rule of Procedure 12.407. The parent wishing to have a child provide testimony must make a motion with the court and then conduct a hearing on the motion. At the hearing, the judge will consider all relevant factors on whether or not there is good cause to allow the child to testify as a witness. If the court does allow the child to testify as a witness it will typically be an in-camera examination. An in-camera examination will typically take place in the judge’s office without the parents present. In-camera examinations are private, the public will not be allowed to attend. However, a court reporter will be permitted to attend the examination. The court reporter will transcribe the examination and make the record available to the parents for use at a future court hearing.

So again be prepared to fully argue for this, as you can see some judge's make this real hard to grant.

Thanks again.

If you can positive rate it is always much appreciated.