FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  9 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases

I'm a divorced mother who has custody of a 8 year old boy

Customer Question

I'm a divorced mother who has custody of a 8 year old boy was married in the state of Nebraska wanting to move to another state due to a promotion for my work what can I'll do to get my ex husband to allow it
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 3 months ago.

Good afternoon. The father has visitation? He lives in Nebraska also?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
he does and he lives in Nebraska as well

Thank you. In a situation like this, the custodial parent would have no choice but to file a motion with the court, asking permission to relocate out of state, with the child. The father has visitation rights and those can not simply be taken away, so the mother would need to show it is in the best interest of the child. Moreover, something would need to be proposed, to give the father ample time with the child and not limit their time. In this case, it is for work and to better you and the child BUT it would need to be shown that this outweighs the fathers ability to have a relationship with your son. Since he will not agree, a Judge has to order it and the burden would be on you, to show it is in your sons best interest,

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
My ex husband has been in court for domestic assault in past...and has had to take classes for assaulting me ..will this be brought up in court as to my favor
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
He drives a semi and is not home every night...also when it's his visitation jus mother has our son most of time

Yes, those are all mitigating factors for the Judge to consider. You may want to show he has resorted to violence in the past and the child may be in danger or at risk and that when he has the child, a 3rd party often cares for him.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or concerns. I am here to help so please just let me know

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.