Maverick
Maverick, Lawyer
Experience:  20 years of professional experience
16823287

QUESTION}

Customer Question

QUESTION}
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 4 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer (“JA”)! My name is Maverick.

Note: (1) If you want legal advice, consult with a local attorney before acting or deciding not to act; information given here is for educational purposes only; (2) Most questions are answered within the hour; however, if I am not signed on, please allow up to 24 hours; and (3) Please assign a feedback rating so JA will compensate me. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms and to JA’s other site disclaimers.

*Can you please give us more background information so we can better assist you?

*Can you please state your specific legal question so we know what type of answer you are looking for?

*What have you tried on this front so far?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
We live in New Jersey. Planning a wedding. Considering getting married in Turks & Caicos islands. Is there any legal downside as far as the marriage being recognized in the US? Is the marriage recognized everywhere, assuming it is performed by a person locally certified to do so in Turks & Caicos? I'm not sure how else to ask that. I guess i just need to know if I should have any concerns about not getting married in the country where we are permanent legal residents. Thank you
Expert:  Maverick replied 4 months ago.

Typically, unless the marriage you are planning to have overseas breaks U.S. state laws, marriages which are legally performed and valid abroad are also legally valid in the United States. I am not aware of a procedure by which to "register" a foreign marriage with U.S. authorities. You can, however, get your marriage certificate authenticated at the consular office, but if the certificate is already certified by the issuing authority, then further authentication is not really required by U.S. officials.