MIAMILAW1127, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  Founding Partner at Moises Law, P.A.

What are the New Mexico laws 17 year old. making a decision

Customer Question

what are the New Mexico laws for a 17 year old. making a decision to move to her mom house. she currently lives with her dad, who has custody.
JA: Custody issues can be tough for everyone involved. But don't worry -- you're in good hands. The attorneys can certainly help with this, and I'd love to connect you with the one who's the best match. Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: not yet
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: this is my granddaughter. 17 in high school Senior this year. mother lives in texas. My daughter has visitation rights. My Granddaughter wants to live with her mother. Custody case is in Curry county NM
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Family Lawyer about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  MIAMILAW1127 replied 3 months ago.

Hello. I am going to be assisting you with your question today.

Please note: This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

If she has not yet been emancipated, then she is technically still a minor until she reaches the age of majority (18 years old) and is under the custody of the custodial parent. In other words, she is not legally entitled to make that type of decision as to where she is going to live.

I hope I have answered your questions. If I have not, please feel free to ask any follow-up questions you may have. Also, please do not forget to rate my response at your earliest convenience.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
If her mother petions the court for the change..can my grand daughter ask for a court to appoint an attorney.

Yes she can.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you..this was very helpfull

No problem. Please don't forget to rate my response at your earliest convenience. Thank you!