FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  9 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases

My son is 16 and I have 50/50 legal joint custody dad is

Customer Question

My son is 16 and I have 50/50 legal joint custody dad is custodian in IL I live in Alaska and my son is wanting to stay here? I am not sure what steps I need to take?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 3 months ago.

I certainly understand the situation and your concern. Based upon what you shared above, a motion would need to be filed with the court. In the body of the motion, it would need to be shown that it is in the best interest of your son, for him to relocate and live with you. At this point and his age, the Judge may be inclined to hear from him and he can express his desire as to which parent he wants to live with, full time. Unless the father agrees or until the Judge says otherwise, he can not voluntarily make the decision and the current custody agreement will control.