LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Experience:  30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.
15277592

In the state of Tennessee do grandparents have superior

Customer Question

In the state of Tennessee do grandparents have superior rights vs uncle/aunt in custody cases?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 4 months ago.

Good afternoon Wayne,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

Tennessee does not give preference to any particular relative as between grandparents and aunts or uncles of a child when there is a battle over custody. All relatives, blood or through marriage are given equal consideration based on the best interests of the child.

Tennessee specifically looks as the following:

Tennessee

Relative Placement for Foster Care and Guardianship

Citation: Ann. Code §§ 37-2-403;37-2-414

Whenever a child is removed from his or her home and placed in the custody of the Department of Children’s Services,

the department shall seek to place the child with a fit and willing relative if such placement provides for the safety and

best interests of the child. http://law.justia.com/codes/tennessee/2010/title-37/chapter-2/part-4/37-2-403

In other words, blood relation alone will not trump a non-blood relative. Rather the court looks at other issues such as prior contact with the child, suitability to care for the child and the home study report.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. As I am not an employee of JustAnswer, please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am compensated for assisting you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,

Doug

Expert:  LawTalk replied 4 months ago.

This seems like a very crucial matter for you, and your questions and issues suggest that an in-depth conversation might best suit your needs. If you are interested, for a very nominal charge I can offer you a private phone conference as opposed to continuing in this question and answer thread which is searchable and viewable by the public.

If I have already provided you with the information you asked for, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you?

Thanks in advance,

Doug