LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Experience:  30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.
15277592

My soon to be ex wife already receives child support from

Customer Question

My soon to be ex wife already receives child support from the father of her daughter. How does that affect the support arrangement of our son? In Texas the first child is 20% of net income and second child is 25%. Would she now get 20% of the first child from both fathers or 25% divide by both fathers?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 10 months ago.

Good morning,

I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.

The 20%/25% child support tiers applies only to one parent paying support for children of the relationship. The purpose is to make it a bit easier on the parent paying for multiple children.

However, when a custodial parent has 2 children from 2 different relationships, that parent is still entitled to 20% of the wages from each non-custodial parent.

Unfortunately, the support that your wife receives from her daughter's father has no direct impact on the amount of support you will have to pay for your child with her.

I understand that you may be disappointed by the Answer you received, as it was not particularly favorable to your situation. Had I been able to provide an Answer which might have given you a successful legal outcome, it would have been my pleasure to do so.

If you have additional questions, you may of course reply back to me and I will be happy to continue to assist you further until your questions have been answered to your satisfaction.

Would you please take a moment to positively rate my service to you based on the understanding of the law I provided by clicking on the rating stars---three stars or more. It is that easy. That is the way I am compensated for having helped you.

Thank you in advance. I wish you the best in your future,

Doug

Expert:  LawTalk replied 10 months ago.

Good morning,

Do you have any additional questions that you would like me to address for you?

In case you would like a phone call to further discuss these issues you have raised, I will make that offer to you. You are certainly not obligated to accept a call offer, but many people do find it helpful for clarification purposes, as well as to allow them to ask additional questions.

As I have provided you with the information you asked for, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you? I am not compensated until you rate me.

Thanks in advance,

Doug