Maverick, Lawyer
Experience:  20 years of professional experience

Can a divorce decree ever be overturned

Customer Question

can a divorce decree ever be overturned
Category: Family Law
Expert:  NYFamilyLawyer replied 3 months ago.

Hello. I’m a family lawyer and appellate attorney with 36 years’ experience.

Please note:This is general information for educational purposes and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an attorney on this site.

At the end of this discussion I'm going to ask you to please rate me as that's the only way I get credit for my time here today. Are you okay with rating me at the end of this session?

This divorce decree is from NH and was in 1999?

I'd like to answer your question for you so I'll wait to make sure you've seen this first. Thanks.

Expert:  Maverick replied 3 months ago.

Welcome to Just Answer (“JA”)! My name is Maverick.

Note: (1) If you want legal advice, consult with a local attorney before acting or deciding not to act; information given here is for educational purposes only; (2) Most questions are answered within the hour; however, if I am not signed on, please allow up to 24 hours; and (3) Please assign a feedback rating so JA will compensate me. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms and to JA’s other site disclaimers.

ANSWER: A divorce decree can be overturned if you filed an appeal within the time limit allotted by the NH Rules of Appellate procedure. This time limit is usually within 20-30 days after the decree was signed by the judge. The reason for the appeal has to be that the judge abused his discretion in some way by erroneously applying the law.