Chris T., JD
Chris T., JD, Lawyer
Experience:  I have assisted many customers and clients with their family law questions and I'm experienced in family law litigation.

I am 74, very healthy and work full time. However, I want to

Customer Question

I am 74, very healthy and work full time. However, I want to write my will. I have a married daughter, son in law & 2 grandbabies. I have written out a draft will listing my assets (not very many!), checking & savings accounts, I lease my car, I have a small amount in my 401K with my employer (only $5000 approx.), furniture, china, etc, in my home. I lease my apartment. My question is do I need to go through a lawyer to make this a legally binding document, or is it sufficient to just have it notarized when I have completed it? Thank you
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Chris T., JD replied 3 months ago.

Hello. I'll be happy to assist you.

Technically speaking, you only need to have your will written and have witnesses sign along with you (at least 2). However, you can execute a self proving affidavit, which does require a notary to sign with you. This makes it so that your beneficiaries don't have to actually prove that your signature is authentic - the affidavit covers that. My suggestion, however, would be to use one of the online will forms, to make sure you meet the technical requirements. It may cost $100 or so, but it may save money on the back end if the will is ever contested. For example, you could use a service like this: