Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.

I'm a Noncustodial parent of a child now 25 yrs old. s

Customer Question

I'm a Noncustodial parent of a child now 25 yrs old. His mother left the state of Texas when he was an infant and moved to CA then VA. CA sent me back a check when I was working in 2014 and said they closed that case, VA has never collected.
TX is taking 890 a month saying they are collecting on Virginia's behalf. I never agreed to this amount, trying to see what can be done
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 3 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Unfortunately, when it comes to child support payments being garnished, you do not have to really agree to the amount being taken. If you believe they are taking too much, you would have to file in Texas to reduce or modify the payments in the Texas courts based on your income and that would mean you would need an attorney in Texas to negotiate or take the matter to court, since Texas is the state that has the judgment for support against you. You would need to prove your income to the court to seek the reduction in payments.