RobertJDFL, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced in multiple areas of the law.

Can a 16 year old emancipate herself in the state of

Customer Question

Can a 16 year old emancipate herself in the state of Florida?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  RobertJDFL replied 3 months ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer.

Yes they can. A minor child sixteen years or older may petition the court through a parent, legal guardian, or guardian ad litem to become legally emancipated for all purposes. If the court finds that the minor child is financially independent of the parents, emancipation will likely be granted. Emancipation immediately relieves the parents from all support obligations for the minor child.

Legal emancipation for certain purposes is also permitted under Florida statutory law. An unwed minor mother of any age can legally consent to medical care related to her pregnancy or for her child. A seventeen-year-old minor may legally consent to donate blood. A minor of any age who is married or has been married is considered a legal adult. You may find this guide very helpful.

Did you need clarification or additional information about my answer? If so, please reply, I'm happy to assist further. Otherwise, please remember to leave a positive rating for me by clicking on the stars,as experts are not employees of this site and we are only paid if you leave a positive rating. Thank you!