AttyHeather
AttyHeather, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with 15 years experience
93913325

Unmarried father with a criminal story and drugs and weapons

Customer Question

Unmarried father with a criminal history and drugs and weapons on SSI is trying to get visitation rights for my 4 month old son who he has never asked to see or helped in any way. I don't agree that he should be granted visitation of my son. He's on SSI contributes nothing and has 3 other baby mommas making me the fourth.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  AttyHeather replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I'm Heather, an attorney with 15 years experience in family law and I'd like to assist for informational purposes.

Typically, courts will consider the things that you've mentioned when determining whether to grant visitation, and how much. Based on what you have said, and especially if the criminal history and drug involvement is recent, you have a basis to ask for supervised or restricted visits.

If you want him to have no contact whatsoever, you may be better off asking the court to terminate his parental rights, which is a pretty big deal, but I've seen it done in cases where the dad is a druggie. That way, you wouldn't have to worry about it, as it's possible that he rehabilitates himself in the future and gradually increases his visitation over time.

Has that answered your question?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you

Hi, could you chime in the chat and please confirm that I have answered your question. I would just really like your confirmation that I have been able to help you! Thank you very much!