CalAttorney2
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
71563194

I adopted my son in New Mexico 2 years ago. He is 42 years

Customer Question

I adopted my son in New Mexico 2 years ago. He is 42 years old and I am 60. Vital Records in South Carolina will not release his original birth certificate because he does not remember his mother's maiden name. Will I need a court order to get it released and if so how much will it cost and how long will it take? He now lives in Florida and needs the birth certificate to get a Florida Driver's License.
Category: Family Law
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 4 months ago.

Dear Customer,

Thank you for using our forum. My name is ***** ***** I hope to assist you today.

I am sorry to learn of the difficulties in getting this information together.

While it would be possible to go to court and request an order giving you the requisite documents, it is probably going to be far easier and much faster, to simply have your adult son pay a process server or a private investigator to run what is called a "skip trace" on himself (this is a search of proprietary databases containing government and financial resources used for legal purposes).

The skip trace should provide your son with his "aliases" (all prior names, including his maiden name, and his biological parents' names).

The cost for a skip trace/search varies but most run around $45-$75, you can get referrals to reputable process servers and private investigators by contacting your local (county) bar association.