Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
26798026

I saw some text messages on my wife's phone to a friend

Customer Question

I saw some text messages on my wife's phone to a friend stating that she had done something she is not proud of but because of her bad decisions she is being blackmailed. She had stated she needs to go to the police and make a report. I don't know what type of attorney I need advice from, but I don't know who/what she is involved in that would allow someone to blackmail her. I am concerned on how to protect my assets and possessions from the blackmailer and also am concerned that since she went to the police that this person might do physical harm to my wife or myself. I don't know if it is possible to get a copy of the police report she has filed so I can understand the extent of the blackmail. I don't know if police reports are public info or if an attorney can obtain a copy of this information.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 9 months ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this is happening.

The Missouri Highway Patrol maintains a central database for criminal reports filed in the state, but they may not be there yet depending on how old that text is.

http://www.mshp.dps.missouri.gov/MSHPWeb/PatrolDivisions/CRID/publicRecordsRequests.html

Missouri Stat., Section(###) ###-####/a> makes criminal incident reports public records within 30 days after the investigation has ended. It also allows family members of those involved in an incident to access records before they become public record. Since it sounds like your wife filed this report recently, call the local police department to see if they have the record and if they'll give you a copy. It may not say why she's being blackmailed, but it will likely say who she suspects of doing it.

Any money held in joint accounts can legally be withdrawn by either of you, so the blackmailer could have access to your bank accounts through your wife. Your wife would need your permission to sell a car or any real estate that you own, so the blackmailer cannot get those things without your consent. Meanwhile, be vigilant. If you see anyone suspicious lingering near your house, watching you or your wife, or following you in public, call the police.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Do you have any more questions about this?