Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Lawyer
Experience:  18 years of litigation experience.
18321761

How do I find a pro-bono lawyer?

Customer Question

How do I find a pro-bono lawyer?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 5 months ago.

Every state has agencies that offer pro bono assistance to civil litigants, as well as public defenders who serve indigent criminal defendants.

Here are some links to New York's pro-bono resources. You may have to make a lot of phone calls, but ultimately someone should be able to direct you to a lawyer or an agency that can assist you.

Also, you can check out area law schools, of which New York State has an abundance. Law schools have clinics that take on cases for people in the community. They are either free or have a sliding fee scale. Law students handle actual cases for course credit and do the researching and the writing under the close supervision of a professor/lawyer.

Many of these have very fine reputations and if a lawyer is needed to go to court on the matter, the professor handles the case before the judge.

Here are some links to clinics in the state of New York. Again, you may have to make a lot of phone calls, but in the end you should be able to get some hands-on assistance.

Good luck!

Expert:  Zoey, JD replied 5 months ago.

Just checking in to see if you need more help or any clarification of my answer. If so, please reply here on this question thread.