JD 1992
JD 1992, Lawyer
Experience:  Began practicing Family Law in 1992

What if I do not want a divorce but my wife does what

Customer Question

What if I do not want a divorce but my wife does what choices do I have and who should I contact to attempt to keep my marriage and force my wife to go to competent marriage counseling?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  JD 1992 replied 3 months ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

Before I ask questions about your situation, I need to make sure that you understand how the website and rating system works.

Many times in family law situations the law is not in favor of the person who does not want a divorce. When that happens we have to give the person asking the question bad news. It's true, but sometimes it's not what they want to hear.

On this website the customer rates us experts at the end of the question and answer and every now and then a customer is unhappy about the law and gives a negative rating. Unfortunately, that negative rating is taken by the website to be a reflection on me, indicating that I wasn't polite, wasn't prompt, or provided a wrong answer.

I'm more than happy to discuss this with you, but I just wanted to make sure that you understood how the system works and that you will rate me on my professionalism and not on whether the law is in your favor or not, since I have no control over that.

With that understanding, do you want me to discuss this in more detail with you?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I understand that the laws are so loose and basically you can throw away anything
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I understand how this site works and understand this is for educational purpose only and what may happen may not be what actually happens.
Expert:  JD 1992 replied 3 months ago.

The real issue is that MO is what is known as a no fault divorce state. That means that if one party wants a divorce then a divorce will be granted. There is no way to prevent it. You can object but it does absolutely no good whatsoever.

Judges have the power to order counseling but many of them don't do that any more. You can certainly ask and the judge may grant it but if they do and your wife doesn't attend, most lawyers agree that the judge can't even hold her in contempt. If you hire a lawyer you have a better chance of getting it granted because there is some language that basically says lawyers and judges are supposed to encourage people to stay together, but it is old language.

What additional questions can I assist with?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you I will contact a lawyer tomorrow.
Expert:  JD 1992 replied 3 months ago.

You're very welcome. I wish I had better news for you but all the states except maybe one are no fault divorce now.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work.

Of course, please feel free to ask any follow up questions in this thread. I want to be sure that all of your questions are answered. In addition, once you issue your Positive Rating the question will lock open and no longer time out so you can come back to it anytime in the future if you think of any follow ups.