RayAnswers
RayAnswers, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years as a family law lawyer .
8534270

My ex informed me that s common law wife will be picking up

Customer Question

My ex informed me that his common law wife will be picking up my son at our meeting spot. I have never formally met this woman. Can I refuse to meet at the drop off point unless my ex is there or is this considered custodial interference?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 8 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you tonight.

Check your visitation orders, normally they only mention the other parent not the designee.You would tell him that you will appear but not relinquish child to another person.The orders do not normally allow for this, so check them.Then I suggest if you have told him this and the third party shows you refuse to release the child to her.Try to avoid this if you can and document that, talk to child ahead of time and tell them you have told the father and see if he resolves this.Otherwise you go and make child available, don't have to turn them over here, assuming your orders do not provide for father or his designee--but rather father only here.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks again.