Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
10285032

My son is 17 years can i apply support and can i get

Customer Question

my son is 17 years can i apply for child support and can i get retroactive he never gave me money since my son was born
Category: Family Law
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
my son is 17 years the dad never paid nothing can i apply for retroactive child support i was 7 years in jail in mexico can that affect me
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 5 months ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

.

There is no statute of limitations on filing for child support, so if there has never been a court filing for child support, you can file a petition for child support and seek retroactive child support (if there has been an order issued and he just has not paid, then you file a motion for order to show cause for contempt). So, yes, under CA law, you can file for child support and it would be retroactive since birth against the non-custodial parent.

The time you were in jail and did not have custody of the child would be excluded from your back support award.