Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
26798026

I live in Louisiana. I had been divorced years. My ex and

Customer Question

I live in Louisiana. I had been divorced for 11 years. My ex and myself never remarried, so we wanted to try again for out children sake. We got remarried to each other in February of 2016. It did not work out. We are not compatible as spouses and better as parents to out children. She moved out of the house in March of 2016 and has her own place.
Do I have to wait the One Year Waiting period before I can file for divorce on can I speed up the process?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 4 months ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

The only way to avoid the waiting period in Louisiana is if you were filing for divorce on the grounds of adultery, imprisonment of your spouse due to a felony conviction, or physical or sexual abuse. Abandonment has a waiting period of one year. When you are divorcing because you're simply not compatible, there is a two year waiting period. There unfortunately isn't any way to avoid those waiting periods. Even a divorce from bed and board, which is like a legal separation, has the same requirements. Louisiana Rev. Stat., Section 9:307.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Do you have any more questions about this?