originallawyer
originallawyer, Family Law Attorney
Experience:  7+ years of experience in divorce, custody battles and mediation.
74576488

My father-in-law has had an restraining order initiated

Customer Question

Good afternoon,
My father-in-law has had an restraining order initiated against him by his ex-girlfriend however she is still making attempts to contact him through my wife and sister-in-law. Today he tried to get a restraining order on her from contacting him and the Judge denied his request. Is there anything he can do to prevent her from contacting him?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  originallawyer replied 5 months ago.

Well, technically, if she got a restraining order against him, and now she's trying to contact him, she's violating the restraining order. That's probably why the Judge wouldn't give your FIL his own. Restraining orders go both ways, meaning neither party should contact the other. Depending on how the restraining order was initiated, he can either go to the police and report her violation, or he can ask the Judge to hold her in contempt for violating the restraining order. He can always make a report to the police about her unwanted communication. If he tells them she has a restraining order against him but is still trying to contact him, they may go talk to her about it. Your wife and sister can refuse to speak to her, block her number, email, etc. THey should probably do that anyway just so ex-girlfriend can't accuse them of breaking the restraining order for your FIL.