FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  9 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases

I inherited a home from my mother who resently passed away,

Customer Question

I inherited a home from my mother who resently passed away, does my wife have any legal claim to it ?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 3 months ago.

Good morning. Just to be clear, in the will, the home passed solely to you and is currently in your name?

Hi, are you still with me?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No I received the home before she passed, she simply gave it to me
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I have already changed everything into my name only

Thank you for the additional information. This would be considered separate property and a non-martial asset. The reason for this is because it is something you inherited, so unless you decide to add your wife to title at a later time and/or give her a shared interest in the home, she would not have any claim to it. You should be aware though, that if martial assets / money is used to improve the home, she may try and make a claim to the increased value, as a result of those contributions. Howler, if you keep the home as is or sell it, she would not be entitled to it, as long as those funds are not commingled either.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thanks that was my only concern, Keeping my mothers home, nothing else matters

You are welcome and please let me know if there is anything else. If not, pleas just remember to rate my help at the top at this time, so the site will give me credit for my answer.