FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  10 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases
9540344

My son and s wife refuse to allow me to do things with my 6

Customer Question

My son and his wife refuse to allow me to do things with my 6 year old grandson and hold my 3 week old grandson. I want to know my legal right.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 10 months ago.

Good morning. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. In New York, a grandparent(s) must have standing, for the Judge to be able to decide and rule upon visitation.In New York State, a grandparent has standing or the right to request visitation of their grandchild when:

• one or both parents of your grandchildren have died
  • the court decides that it must get involved because of the special circumstances of your grandchild's case.
  • With that being said, you would need to show that it is in the best interest of the child for you to be involved and it trumps the decision of both parents to deny visitation, since they do technically have a legal right to do so, at this time.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It isn't my son who has the problem with me seeing the kids, but he won't stand up to his wife.

Thank you. I am sorry to say but she has a right to refuse this. However, he does not have to listen and if he wants to take the children to see you, he can.

I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or concerns. I am here to help, so please just let me know.