Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
26798026

Both my niece's parents are dead she just graduated gh

Customer Question

Both my niece's parents are dead she just graduated high school and plans to attend a community college can she apply for SSI
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 5 months ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your loss and your niece's.

She was eligible to receive survivor's benefits up until she turned 18 or until she graduated. Now that she's out of high school, if she is at least 18 years old, she would unfortunately only be entitled to benefits if she is disabled and unable to work.

Here are some scholarships for students without parents, which might help. There are some other organizations out there that offer assistance, which she can research to see what aid she might qualify for.

http://scholarships.fastweb.com/u-orphan-parentless-students

Please rate my answer positively to ensure I get credit for the time I spend helping. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. Thank you.

Do you have any other questions about this?