Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Licensed experienced Attorney
26296561

I'm 16 years old. My parents are emotionally abusive but no

Customer Question

I'm 16 years old. My parents are emotionally abusive but no one seems to be taking me seriously. No official report has been filed, and I'm not sure I want that because of my brother and sisters, I just want out of the house. I've looked into emancipation but it's incredibly difficult in my county.my 17 year old boyfriend is getting his own place, so I could stay with him. But I'm afraid of what my parents would do. Is there a legal way to help me?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 5 months ago.

Hello. My name is Alex.
Thank you for your question.
I will be happy to provide you with information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Unfortunately, generally, it is against the law for a minor child under 18 years of age to move out from parents' home, unless, the minor child is legally emancipated through the court and unfortunately, the only option would be to report any physical abuse or any other illegal actions by the parents to the local police.

I am very sorry to provide you with this bad news, but please understand that I do have professional obligation to provide JustAnswer.com customers with correct answers, even when answer is not favorable to the customer.

I wish you the best of luck and God bless you!

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Any advice about the emancipation process?

Thank you for your follow up.

I cannot comment on your specific situation but generally, it is in fact very difficult for a minor child who is 16 to get legally emancipated, unless the child is legally married (which would again require parents' consent), otherwise, the only way 16 year old can be emancipated if the 16 year old has his/her own place of residence, has a job and income that is enough to fully support the 16 year old, including to pay the entire rent (without anyone else's help).

I wish you the best of luck!

Please let me know if you have any related follow up questions?
If not, please positively rate and accept my answer, so I can be compensated for my work.
Thank you.