AttyHeather, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with 15 years experience

We just went to court today support in TN. my husbands child

Customer Question

we just went to court today for child support in TN. my husbands child support went from $275 to over $800. i don't understand how they calculated that when they both make $15 an hour and this is over 2 children. i calculated it and it was under $600. mind you she has two other kids she supports and he has 3. i feel like he is paying for the other two children when he is not their father. we would like to appeal that amount because we feel they didn't do those calculations right. any advice on what to do cause we will pay for a lawyer if we have to, but we really do not have the funds to do so. thank you
Category: Family Law
Expert:  AttyHeather replied 3 months ago.

Hi, I'm Heather, a family law attorney with 15 years experience and I'd be happy to assist for informational purposes. In order to calculate the child support, you have to have the figures that the court used for each party's gross income, other support orders, child care costs, health insurance premium, and etc. The court should have had a child support worksheet somewhere in the record so that you could see how the support was calculated - especially if it was, as is presumed, calculated in accordance with the guidelines. Is it possible that the child support was increased because the other party is paying child care costs or health insurance premiums?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I used the Tennessee calculator and put in all that info including what she pays for health insurance. And no day care costs. I put all kids including the ones not in the case on both ends like it says with birthdays and both their gross incomes to the penny and it still didn't come close to what they came up with.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I feel like they twist the law to make people pay more then they should. He's been paying child for years now and when he first had to pay the amount he was to pay was $212 for his two and then they added for the other child she had which made it go to $275. I don't think it's right he pays for a child that is not his. We are aware that with his pay increase that he was gonna pay more. Which is fine. But when we calculated it, it was under $600. And I put in the same information they had.

There won't be any way to know for sure without seeing the child support worksheet upon which the calculation was made. Your best bet would be to call the court clerk and see if they have it on file. Another option would be to call the attorney on the other side and ask him to send it to you.

Hi, I'm checking in to see if I was able to answer your question. Can you please let me know, as I am here to assist?